Monday, August 3, 2009

Oh Baby!

I think that most of everyone who knows us knows our BIG news! But, I felt the need to blog about it anyway since it is the biggest life changing event that has happened in our nearly 6 years of marriage.

WE ARE HAVING A BABY!

We are thrilled and can't hardly wait! Apparently, when you go to Hawaii, you come back with a baby! Well, that's at least our story! It's a funny story really! Brent knew before me! I'll explain....

So, as blogged about before, we went to Maui, HI! It was wonderful! However, the flight back was not! We were delayed by 4-5 hours, my seat was anything but comfortable (so I didn't sleep for the whole 8 hr. flight), and by the time we made it home, I couldn't really relax and sleep to help my self rejuvenate! Therefore, I went back to work feeling pretty exhausted. I had been told that jet lag from a Hawaii trip could be pretty torturous. I had no idea!

But, as the we entered the 2nd week home, I was still coming home from work finding myself falling on the couch and sleeping for a couple of hours, waking up long enough to eat a quick dinner, and then heading to bed and sleeping all night. Brent was a little concerned! Finally, in an attempt to pull me out of the "lag," he suggested we go for a walk.

We had started out the front of our complex when he said, "I'm a little concerned about you!" I looked over at him and asked, "Why?" He said, "Well, we've been back from our trip for about a week and a half and you are still sleeping like 12 hrs or more a day. I know you like to sleep, but this is unusual, even for you. Do you think you could be pregnant?" My response was "Absolutely not! I highly doubt it!"

Now, I should mention that 3 years ago I was given the diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and was told that having children would be very difficult. Because of this, Brent and I decided that I would change to a fertility specialist Dr. when we decided that we were approaching the time to start having a family. We had decided to pursue this, so that we would be fully prepared when we decided to start trying! I had my first appointment with Dr. Ehmer on May 4th. (We left for Hawaii, May 8th!) At the appointment, he prescribed a hormone stimulant and explained that I needed to take this once a day and when ready to start trying, to stop taking my birth control, but continue to take the hormone stimulant throughout my pregnancy. During the trip, I continued to take BOTH pills (except for that one day that we got in late, and I fell asleep before taking either of them!)

Back to the story....
Brent asked if we could take a test just to be sure. We returned home, ran to Wal-Mart, got a test, and went home. Immediately, it was positive! I didn't feel assured at that point, so we returned to Wal-Mart and bought 2 more. Went home, took both, both positive! At this point, Brent realizes we are pregnant, I am still doubting it. The next morning, I went back to Wal-Mart, bought a pack of 2 digital tests, went home, took both, both= Positive! Brent was at work, so I called him immediately and announced "Honey, we are pregnant!" He responded with, "Yes, we established this last night. Are you just realizing it?" Apparently, I was! I called the Dr. to make an appointment...long story short, I made a point to tell Dr. Ehmer that he prescribes miracle drugs!

So...we are due end of January/first of Februaury! We will find out the gender on Aug. 25th, so I will keep you posted! We don't have a preference, we just want a happy, healthy baby! We feel so blessed and can hardly wait! I will try to post "belly" pictures once I start officially showing. Currently, I have the "pooch" at the end of the day, when I can no longer suck in the day's worth of food! I am growing though. Sweet Jodi (Spies) Bishop gave me the Mommy Measurement Tool, which is a cloth measuring tape that allows you to measure yourself throughout your pregancy and document the week, baby's heart beat, etc. Such a neat gift!

Here is the first picture of our sweet little one! It's amazing how much I already love this little piece of heaven and yet, I still have moments where it seems unreal! I will provide more sonogram pics as well! Stay tuned!

Baby Gartrell!


3 comments:

A Blessed Wife and Mom said...

Congratulations, girl! I am so happy for you and Brent. You will make great parents and I can't wait to meet your precious little one!

Carol M. said...

Can't wait to see and hold this precious little bundle!!!
Love you,
~Marmie

Moody Family said...

we are so excited and can't wait to meet this precious baby :) we love you three!
xoxo