Friday, July 4, 2008

Putting a Habit to End!

I once read that it takes two full weeks to quit or start a habit!

I will admit that I have several bad habits! Shocking, I know....but true! Some of the habits are new, some not so new, but mostly the habits I have are old! And, while I have tried to quit these habits, I have always found my way back to them!

Two of my most embarrassing habits are twirling my hair and biting my fingernails. I hate....absolutely hate....that I do both of these! Both of these habits started at a young age. Infact, there are several childhood stories of my hair twirling. For instance, as a toddler, I insisted on twirling the hair of which ever parent was putting me to bed. As the story goes, my Dad eventually had to switch the side in which he would lay next to me because he was developing a bald spot! Sorry, Dad! (What a good, Dad, right?!) Now that I am older and a little wiser, I have discovered that the hair twirling is actually a sensory seeking habit (there's some occupational therapy lingo for you!)

But, the nail biting! I really really don't like the nail biting! It is sometimes painful, unsanitary, and the hands never look all that pretty. I have bit my fingernails since I was a child, a young child, so young in fact, that I can't remember how old I was when I started. As a child, my parents, grandparents, and other family members took it upon themselves to try and help me stop with different tactics. There was the bad tasting fingernail polish, the threat of putting some sort of hot sauce on them, and of course the almighty bribery! However, I always seemed to fall right back into the habit.

The other day I was looking at my nails. Disgusted with myself that after 25 years, I am still biting my nails! I decided I had to quit. I decided to do a little analyzing of the previous tactics and attempts and determined that I would have to take it slowly! So, after much thought and consideration, I am taking it one fingernail at a time! Now, before you starting laughing (like Brent did! Although, I should note he is very supportive and encouraging through this process!), I am resisting the temptation and making a concious effort to avoid biting a designated fingernail for 3 days. If I am successful, I am moving on to another fingernail, and so on and so forth. So far, I am successful! I started with my ringer finger on my right hand (for all of you medical personnel out there= 4th digit on R UE). After three days, I had growth and felt comfortable to move on to the ringer finger of the left hand. (The reason to my method is a result of my OCD with symmetry! Thanks, Mom!)

Growing up, whenever I felt overwhelmed by the occurrences and situations in my life, my Mom would always say, "Just take it one day at a time!" So, I am! Even though it has only been 5 days, I feel pretty successful! And, therefore, inspired and intrigued to continue on! I have told myself that if I make it to all ten fingernails, I will treat myself to a mani/pedi! It will be my first official manicure!

Bad habits are the worse! And, when I think of my habits, I find myself dwelling on the bad rather than the good! Of course, when we have a good habit, we find ourselves calling this a routine, don't we? I believe that I do have some good habits, as well! But, as I sit here thinking about them, I can't seem to recall what they are! I think that stems from the fact that we are often finding the negative in ourselves rather than the good, so I will have to get back to you on that!....Wow! There's another bad habit! God created me! And, while I am human and naturally imperfect, shouldn't I be able to find the positives in myself just as easily as I do the negative! (There's another blog entry for another day!) So, whatever the habit may be, I believe that it is better for us to focus on finding the solution rather than dwelling in the habit.

Today, I encourage you to pick a habit that you would either like to stop or start! And, taking it one day at a time, dedicate your energy and time into completing the process! I will be praying for you and hope that you find much success!

0 comments: